Muzizi Hydropower Project.
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) is developing the 48MW Muzizi Hydro Power project (HPP) at the lower course of the Muzizi River in Western Uganda, South east of Lake Albert with the powerhouse approximately 6km upstream of Lake Albert at the eastern flank of the Albertine Graben. The diversion-type hydroelectric project will be implemented under an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractual arrangement. Muzizi HPP has a gross head of 468 m and a design discharge of 12 m³/s. A reservoir with a live storage volume of 270,000m3 at El. 1092.5 m asl shall form a part of the project to suffice 4 hours of daily peaking capacity of the hydropower station.
- Implementing Agency: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited
- Contractor: Procurement of EPC Contractor still ongoing.
- Project Duration: 3 Years
- Funding Agency: Concessional Loans from KfW and AFD, Government of Republic of Uganda
- Owners Engineer: ILF Consulting Engineers Austria GmbH
- Project Management Consultant (PMC): None
- Capacity: 48 MW
- Consultancy Services: The consultant is currently preparing the Basic Design and Tender documents to be used for EPC Contractor Procurement. These documents are expected to be finalized in December 2017.
- Resettlement Action Plan Implementation: The RAP Implementation Consultant (Newplan Consulting Engineers and Planners) have conducted a survey and valuation of the project land and have shared a draft valuation report with UEGCL for review.
The Resettlement Action Plan Implementation is expected to be completed in the first half of 2018.
- EPC Contract Procurement: Following publication of the prequalification notice in the media on 06th July 2017, 07 bids for Lot 1 (Civil Works) and 02 bids for Lot 2 (EM&HM) were received on 28th August 2017.
Evaluation of PQ bids for both lots has been conducted and the evaluation report approved by UEGCL’s Contracts Committee subject to a No Objection from KfW. A No Objection to the Prequalification Evaluation Report is still awaited from KfW.
The RFP is scheduled to be issued upon receipt of a No Objection from KfW to the Basic Design and Tender Documents. This is anticipated to be in January 2018.
Signing of the EPC Contract is expected in the first half of 2018.